Ugh...
I am really beginning to hate facebook. When I started my facebook back in college, it was nice because so few people were on there and no one was very active on it. So in a way, it was private. As it grew more popular it became more fun to get into contact with people from high school and stay in touch with people in college. It also was a great way to stay in touch with groups and deliver messages since people log into it all the time.
I would add old acquaintances and people I had classes with or people I met randomly. Unfortunately, it opens you up to more and more opinions and judgement. On the bright side, its good to hear other opinions and keep an open mind. On the down side, its constant. It's become this never ending string of negativity or bragging. I am absolutely guilty of both, I will admit.
But my problem with facebook is that I have to be SO careful about what I post, how I post it and to who. You can't make a "status update" without thinking of all the penalties involved. That has just dragged all the fun out of it. Who wants to be constantly ridiculed or told their sporting team "sucks" or that they post "too many baby pictures". MY question is, "why do others care SO much to criticize others?"
I like to use facebook as a way for my family, friends and those acquaintances that care to be updated about my life. But it's become harder to do that without someone's negative comment. Also those comments where they don't post it directly to you (or your wall) but you can tell, you're grouped into that negative comment. For example, I am a Seahawks fan. It's probably the only sports team I actually care about, watch the games etc. They won a game a few weeks back against the niners. Then I see an acquaintance put "seahawks fans are annoying."Its like.. really? was that needed? So I would naturally lump myself into one of those annoying people. Even though I didn't say anything about rude about the opposing team. I didn't say anything to this person as the issue is too stupid to retaliate. This is a very small example.
But it made me think, facebook is suppose to be fun. I usually don't like it when people just "unfriend" me out of the blue, but I'm thinking, maybe I get it. They want their info meant just for the people they are close to and for me, I only want my info meant for people that 1. don't offend me, 2. people I care about. soo... I hate to admit it, but I think I am slowly going to start downsizing my friend list. Or remove my account all together. (I don't want to do the later because I don't think its fair to my parents and family who actually only use facebook as a way to see Elyse and what is up with my family)
The reason I like blogging better is I get the chance to explain myself more. Although I would absolutely encourage people to comment, I know most don't. But I don't have as much retaliation, not very many people read this, but I get the chance to go back a year or 2 later and see what I was thinking. I can add pictures and explain them, and post about trips.
It's like my little soap box(which I understand is what people do on fb) but it's more private. People have a choice to read this, they have to go to the page(or the few of you that receive it via email).
I'm not trying to say facebook is bad, it's just not the same anymore. I don't feel I can share things on it as openly as before without SOMEONE having a negative opinion. ("what does your comment mean?" "Why don't you post more picture with me?" "how could you hang out with THAT person?" "you aren't allowed to be a dem" "I hate it when you post pictures of THAT person" "you spelled that wrong" "you're being vauge"...it never ends..)
I realize this post is pretty negative, and I just needed to get it off my chest. I've been pretty down the last few months, and after talking to a friend, I feel like I have been able to better pinpoint the root of my depression. Fb negativity being one of them. Yes, I realize its silly to let it get to me, but what can I say, Im sensitive.
Anyways, now that I'm more aware of what is upsetting me, I am able to think of new ways to handle things. So I've been feeling better and feel like I can start moving forward in a positive way and do things(like delete negative people from my news feed) and hopefully we won't have too many downer posts in the future :)
well, I smell a surprise my daughter left for me, so I think its time for me to go :)
No comments:
Post a Comment