Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Spring is here!

I know, I have been absolutely HORRIBLE at updating my blog and I should do it more often(I say this every year, almost every post!haha) It's been 2 months (almost) since my last post, so its about time :)

What can I really say though. My main focus these last two months is getting my weight down and under control. I have been really dedicated to the cause (FINALLY!) and since Christmas I have lost a total of 22.9lbs! Woo hoo!! I am a numbers and results person. My motivation is seeing the improvement. When I don't, I lose all motivation. It's addicting too. Although I am happy I've lost as much as I have, am still not even half way to my goal of what I want to lose. But I am close to half way!

Some may say to me "why do you want to lose so much weight?". Well, for one, I never lost the weight from when I got pregnant with Elyse and just gained MORE when I was pregnant with Alistair, and then didn't lose that either. I was at the biggest I had ever been and I wasn't carrying a child. I was avoiding seeing people and going to parties. I even went to a party of people I hadn't seen since befoore pregnancy and the look on their faces was a little surprising. Although I know it wasn't intentional and not meant to hurt my feelings but it made me realize, I am huge. I am not only bigger than ever, I hate how I look. 

I was avoiding cameras and people. It don't want to be a mom that doesn't take photos with my kids. I don't want to think "my looks are fading" or my "best years are behind me". I want to be the size or close to the size I was when I first moved to Seattle. I was a happy, confident person. I was comfortable with how I looked. So thats my goal. 

How am I doing this? The first thing I did was buy a fitbit. I have worn my fitbit flex every single day since the day I got it. It was one of the best investments for my weight loss. It made me realize how inactive I am/was. I was aiming to hit a goal of 10,000 steps a day. I got one back in August of 2013. Still to this day, it is hard for me to meet that goal, but I am trying harder to get there than I first did.

Then I joined stroller strides. This was a decent workout that I could do without dropping my kids at daycare. Unfortunately, the franchise I was at closed at the end of October 2013. So then I tried Barre class, and that was AWESOME!! the workout was sooo hard, but it was really expensive, so that didn't last long. Finally, I signed up for the Jingle Bell 5k in Dec. I ran it and it felt so rewarding since I am a self-proclaimed "non-runner".  Then someone new was buying the Renton Stroller Strides so I went to a "meet and greet" she was having. There she mentioned how she how she was going to teach the Body Back Program.

So I decided to sign up for Body back over stroller strides. Best decision ever. Body back really made me realize how much improvement I needed and that I could do it. On top of that, as I mentioned before, I am training for a few runs. I did a 5k in early march and beat my last time by abound 10 min. MY next run is the Seahawks 12k in April which I have been training for. Next I have the Run like a Mother 5k which I hope to beat my last time.  Then Bay to Breakers in May, but I heard you can't really run because it's so crowded. Then lastly, I signed both Cole and I up for the Rock n Roll half Marathon on June 21st. So that is what I will be training for after the 12k. whew!! its going to be hard but I can do this!!!

So with the training and Body Back (I signed up for another session) I work out 5-6 days a week. On top of that, I use Myfitness Pal app to track my calories. This has been a big contributor to my weight in my opinion. I start every morning with a cup of water water and half a lemon squeezed, I cut out caffine, but I still drink decaf drinks, and count my calories for the rest of the day. Also my fitbit connects to the MFP app and the more steps I get the more calories I can eat. I log or scan all my food. I also have my food journal open so others can see it. It keeps me honest and more accountable. I also have given up desserts for lent and hope to continue to cut out desserts. Not completely because, what kind of life is a life without desserts?!

 But before all of this, the first thing I do is weight myself, every morning. I look forward to it, and I spend my day making better choices so that the next day when I get on the scale the number changes for the better :) 

It is a fitbit scale so it also syncs to the MFP app which shows me how much I lost which is great!

Anyways, hopefully what I am doing continues to work and I can get to my goal weight someday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment