So, I can't pick up where I left off, because that was OVER a year and a lot has changed since! (and who's life doesn't change a lot over a year?)
But I like to try to return to this because I know that those of you that read it are close to me, and sometimes people I don't get the opportunity to update all that often.
Few things to catch up on since June of 2016:
Health and Fitness Career: I think last I posted, I was fully into Beachbody and trying out all of their fun variety of programs, teaching for Fit4mom : Stroller Strides and Body Back.
Now, although I do still teach for Fit4mom as a contractor(thats the only way), I also work at the nearby YMCA.
The Y growing up, I always thought were these run down buildings and gyms that did help for the homeless. There are 13 in the Seattle area and most of them are recently remodeled or brand new. They are awesome people to work for as they do work for the community but can still be more than a "gym". It's a safe place to hang out, their kids care is wonderful and all of the staff make an effort to know your name!
I started on as a sub last year, and in Feb 2017, got my own Tuesday Morning Strength Training class. Typically a pretty full class, but I was replacing an instructor that was ready to let the class go to someone else. This instructor has a huge following and I am blessed to have been slotted into a class that already had a big group! All I have to do it keep the class big!
However, in the mean time, I also spend many months studying for my Personal Training certification from National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM) certification and passed on my first try! (this caused me to start growing grey hairs....)
Trained in Zumba, Zumba Gold and STRONG by Zumba(SBZ) which is now my FAVORITE class to teach. I am currently a sub for SBZ for the last 4 months for an instructor who had surgery. She will be returning next month. I am sad to give the class up.
I also got a brand new Bootcamp class! This has been tough but taking on any new class is. I'm still in the "proving myself" phase with these members. But so far, so good!
I also trained as a health coach for a class called Lose to Win. More of a facilitator and accountability coach, but its effective and helpful for the members!
Lastly, I am an Admin Lead at the Y. Its a small temp position but could lead to bigger things down the road. So heres my week (and don't forget all the pick up and drop offs and dance and soccer lessons sprinkled in!)
Monday - Bootcamp, Admin, Body Back
Tuesday - Strength Training, SBZ
Wednesday - Admin, Lose to win
Thursday - Body Back (every other week)
Friday - Stroller Strides
Saturday Body Back
My week has gotten pretty full!
Why am I starting up this blog? Well, with Fit4mom, I signed an agreement that I wouldn't work for anything similar in the area for 2 years after I quit. Basically putting any fitness knowledge I have out of date. When I had signed it originally, I had no plans to really further my career in this field. But as my kids grew out of Stroller Strides and it was getting hard and hard to make it all work without a childcare facility or anyone to rely on, I was convinced I was good enough to teach at a gym.
When I got the job as a sub at the Y so quickly, I was shocked and tried to leave Fit4mom, but decided on a "breather" instead. I didn't teach there for 2-3 months. My franchise owner told me it was okay with her if I worked at both places as long as I didn't offer any kind of program that was similar to what Fit4mom offered(no prenatal, no stroller fitness classes). But also, to not advertise or persuade our current members in anyway, to leave Fit4mom and come to the Y. As they are in the same territory. I thought it was fair terms, and I will always have a soft spot for Fit4mom as they are responsible for my love of fitness and weight loss.
However, due to those terms, I can not be open on my own facebook page about what I'm doing or how I'm feeling about ANYTHING at the Y, because I worry I will be crossing lines or violating those terms. So I post mostly only pictures and only on instagram. Which is unfortunate for those that don't care about where I work, but care about what i'm doing. (because you are my friend or family)
I thought, maybe blogging would help that outlet a little! Yea, I have a long list of other things I should be doing besides this.... but I need an outlet, just like a need to log a certain number of couch hours a week. (Champagne problems?) With all my friends mostly moved away, I have filled up my time with family and work and not a huge social outlet. So, even if no one is listening, (besides Cole)...
No comments:
Post a Comment