Thursday, October 19, 2017

Hello Darkness, My Old Friend

Well the weather in Seattle has officially turned to rain and wind storms.

It's been very cold, dark, windy and rainy and more is to come! Hopefully it will ease up for Halloween night. As much as the rain is welcome, I don't enjoy wearing rainboots. I prefer the normal drizzle we get, and it allows me to wear my uggs!

Turned 33 yesterday. Cool.

The hard thing about not living close to where you grew up, is definitely holidays and birthdays. Not just for me, either. For the kids as well. Yesterday, although I got lots of texts and birthday messages via soical media, it was a very lonely day. Luckily I was at work in the morning at the Y (Admin Lead work) and I LOVE my job. So that was nice, and even then only a few people knew it was my birthday so it was nice to not make it s big deal at a new job. But lonely, rainy lunch and afternoon. Then work again, prepping and coaching my Lose to Win group. Picked up take out sushi, and got home after 8pm.

It was nice coming home to the family singing me happy birthday though.

But heres the difference and through my OWN fault. If I lived near my family and friends, I would have seen  SOMEONE, outside of my 4yrs old son possibly for lunch, or a quick coffee. I don't mean the (appreciated) gifts or fancy outings(which I do also enjoy) but the in person visits. Being gone for so long, that when I have a visitor, it means a lot. So I'm an adult, I can get over this stuff. But for my kids, it;s different.

I am hesitant to plan birthday parties for them up here because I fear no one will show up. It's not that I don't trust that they are capable of having a lot of friends, but as we all know, Parents control the schedule and the plan. If you don't know the parents well (which, how am I suppose to know them when I never see them!) there is a 40% chance of them coming. So the kids haven't had a real birthday party in a couple years.

I've stuck to traveling to California and having them celebrate with their family over spending $300 on a bouncing place and inviting all of their school friends. I do feel like the kids would prefer to play with their friends(no offense to family, but if you're not a 4yrs old to 8yrs old...) and I feel bad. But its the reality is that I can't get the excited for an event, that I'm not confident will happen. Nor do I want to spend all that money to rent out a place and only 2 kids show up!! How sad would that be for the kids!

So I have been trying to plan something with just one family. Easier to plan, easier for the kids and the parents. If you've been wondering "why haven't I gotten an invite for the kids party?" or "Did she throw they a party?" for last year, the answer is no, I didn't. I made a mild effort. 98% of the people couldn't make it, so I scratched it. Life happens! We definitely can't make it to all the invited we get and its understandable!

However, school gets out for Elyse June 22, so I may actually let her have a real party with school friends this year. We will see!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment